Ezekiel Name Meaning : Ezekiel is a Hebrew name that means “God strengthens.” It’s a popular name for boys but can also be used for girls. The Name has many variations, including Ezekial, Ezekiel, and Zeke. Famous people named Ezekiel include the prophet Ezekiel from the Bible and actor Ezekiel Jackson.
Ezekiel’s Origin and Meaning
The Name Ezekiel is of Hebrew origin and means “God strengthens.” It is derived from the element ‘Ezekiel’ meaning “strong” or “powerful.” The Name was popularized by the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel, who wrote the biblical book of the same Name.
The Name Ezekiel has been used in English-speaking countries since the 16th century. It became more common in the United States in the 20th century, reaching its peak popularity in 2015.
According to the Social Security Administration, over 5,000 baby boys named Ezekiel were born in 2015, making it the 109th most popular Name for boys in the US.
Several variations of the Name Ezekiel include Ezekial, Ezekiel, Ezechiel, and Zeke.
Ezekiel Name Popularity
Historically, Ezekiel has been a popular name. According to Social Security Administration data, it was the sixth most popular boys’ Name in the United States in 2018.
There are a few possible explanations for why the Name has been so popular over the years. One is that it’s a biblical name. The Old Testament prophet Ezekiel is one of the major prophets in Judaism and Christianity, and his story has resonated with people over the centuries.
Another explanation for the Name’s popularity is its vital meaning. “Ezekiel” means “God strengthens,” which is a reassuring message in uncertain times. And given the challenges of life in the 21st century, it’s no wonder that parents are looking for names with positive meanings for their children.
If you’re considering naming your child Ezekiel, know they will be in good company. Here are some famous people who have borne the Name:
- Ezekiel Elliott, an American football player
- Ezekiel Jackson, professional wrestler
- Ezekiel Figueroa, Mexican boxer
- Ezekiel Kemboi, Kenyan steeplechase runner
- Ezekiel Ansah, Ghanaian-American football player
Is Ezekiel A Boy or Girl Name?
Ezekiel is a boy’s Name of Hebrew origin meaning “God strengtheneth”.
Ezekiel is a biblical name used for boys since the Protestant Reformation. It was popular in the English-speaking world by the Puritans, who brought it to America in the 17th century.
Since then, Ezekiel has been a popular name for boys in the United States. Recently, it has become more common as a middle name than a first name.
Several variations of the Name Ezekiel include Ezekial, Ezikiel, and Ezekiel. The most common spelling in America is Ezekiel.
The Name Ezekiel is also sometimes used for girls, although it is much less common as feminine than masculine.
Variations of Ezekiel
There are many variations of the Name Ezekiel, including:
- Ezekiel: The most common spelling of the Name is the Hebrew form.
- Ezechiel: A variation of the Hebrew spelling, this is the Greek form.
- Izekel: A variation of the Hebrew spelling, this is the Yiddish form.
- Yehezkel: A variation of the Hebrew spelling, this is the Israeli form.
- Zeke: A nickname for Ezekiel, this is a standard English version.
- Zachariah: Another standard English version. This is a Biblical reference to another prophet.
Other variations of the Name include:
There are many other variations of the Name, but these are some of the most common.
Famous People Named Ezekiel
There have been many famous people throughout history who have been named Ezekiel. Here are just a few of them:
Ezekiel the Prophet: Ezekiel was a major prophet in the Hebrew Bible. He is best known for his visions and prophecies, which were often very cryptic and difficult to interpret.
Ezekiel Ansah: Ezekiel Ansah is a professional football player from Ghana who currently plays for the Detroit Lions. He is one of the most dominant defensive players in the NFL and has even been nicknamed “The Ziggy” due to his unique playing style.
Ezekiel Jackson: Ezekiel Jackson is a former professional wrestler best known for his time in WWE. He was a dominant force in the ring and held multiple championships.
As you can see, many famous people have been named Ezekiel. Whether it’s because of their prophetic abilities, their athletic prowess, or their wrestling skills, these men have all made a name for themselves in their respective fields.
20 Names Similar to Ezekiel
When it comes to naming a baby, parents often want a unique and meaningful name. The Name Ezekiel is both of those things. If you are looking for a similar name for your baby, here are 20 names similar to Ezekiel:
- Elijah – This Hebrew name means “the Lord is my God” and comes from the same root as Ezekiel. It was popularized by the Biblical prophet Elijah.
- Josiah – This Hebrew name means “the Lord heals” and was borne by a good king in the Old Testament.
- Isaiah – This Hebrew name, which also means “the Lord is my God,” was borne by a major prophet in the Old Testament.
- Samuel – This Hebrew name means “God heard” and was borne by one of the most important prophets in the Bible.
- Nathan – This Hebrew name means “he gave” and was borne by a prophet who anointed David as king of Israel.
- Gideon – This Hebrew name means “mighty warrior” and was borne by a judge who led Israel to victory over the Midianites.
- Michael – This Hebrew name means “who is like God?” and is one of the most popular angelic names.
- Gabriel-This Hebrew Name Means “God Is My Strength” And Is Another Popular Angelic Name
- Barak-This Hebrew Name Means “Lightning” And Refers To A Storm
- Zechariah-This Hebrew Name Means “The Lord Has Remembered”
- Hosea-This Hebrew Name Means “Salvation”
- Joel-This Hebrew Name Means “The Lord Is God”
- Amos-This Hebrew Name Means “Burden Bearer”
- Obadiah-This Hebrew Name Meanings “Servant Of The Lord”
- Jonah-This Hebrew Name Meanings “Dove”
- Micah-This Hebrew Name Meanings “Who Is Like The Lord?”
- Nahum-this Hebew Namemeanings “Comforting”
- Habakkuk-this Hebew Namemeanings “Embrace”
- Zephaniah -this Hebrew Namemeanings “Hidden Treasure
- Malachi – this Hebrew Namemeaning s “My Messenger.”
As you can see, several Hebrew names have similar meanings to Ezekiel. If you are looking for a name with religious significance for your baby, one of these 20 names might be the perfect fit.
Different Spellings of the Name Ezekiel:
There are many different ways that the Name Ezekiel can be spelled. Some of the most common variations include Ezechiel, Ezekiel, Ezekiel, and Ezekyel. While the meaning of the Name remains the same regardless of how it is spelled, some people may prefer one spelling over another.
Ezekiel is also sometimes shortened to Zeke or Zack. This can be a nickname for either a boy or a girl named Ezekiel.
Some parents may spell Ezekiel with an “s” at the end instead of a “z.” This is a matter of personal option, and there is no right or wrong way to spell the Name.
Ezekiel Name Meaning : in Popular Culture
There are many references to the Name Ezekiel in popular culture. Here are some examples:
- The character Ezekiel Jones in the TV show “The Librarians” is a master thief who uses his skills to help solve mysteries.
- In the video game “Borderlands 2”, one of the main characters is a robot named Claptrap with a pet human named Zeke.
- In the movie “Thor: Ragnarok”, one of the characters is an Asgardian warrior named Skurge, also known as “The Executioner”.
- In the book series “A Song of Ice and Fire”, a character named Euron Greyjoy is nicknamed “Crow’s Eye” because of his missing eye. 5. In the TV show “Supernatural”, there is a character named Crowley, the King of Hell.
Ezekiel is a name with strong meaning and history. It has been popular for centuries and is a popular choice for parents today. The Name is unique and has many different spellings, making it a versatile option for parents looking for something different for their child. Ezekiel is an excellent option whether you are looking for a name with religious significance or simply unique.